August 28, 2020
How to Prepare for the Georgia State Board Exam
Do you dream of becoming a cosmetologist in your future? If you are thinking of or already attending cosmetology school, you’re probably wondering about the state board exam. To make sure that students are properly prepared for a beauty career, the state of Georgia requires that all student cosmetologists pass this exam to provide hair and other beauty services for clients.
We know taking tests can be stressful and that’s why we’ve created a guide on what you can expect for the state board exam and how you can prepare to sit for it. Read all about the process below!
What Should You Study?
Georgia wants to see cosmetology students succeed, which is why they’ve listed out exactly what to expect when taking the exam. Studying hard can help you feel prepared and ready when you sit down to take the boards. Here’s some of what you can expect:
Written and Multiple Choice Examination
This portion of the test evaluates students’ beauty knowledge through a series of 110 multiple-choice questions. That may seem like a lot, but don’t worry because you’ll be given an hour and a half to complete them all. To make sure you give yourself as much time as possible, use good test-taking strategies.
Some great test taking strategies include:
- Listening attentively to instructions
- Answering all of the questions
- Going with your initial gut instinct on a right answer
- Pace yourself
Taking practice tests can also be helpful and studying for the questions you missed. No matter what, study hard and envision yourself successfully passing the boards!
To ensure you’re ready to take on the world of beauty, the test also includes a practical portion. You will be expected to demonstrate skills in various beauty techniques. Procedures you’ll be expected to successfully perform are:
- Preparing potential clients in a professional manner
- Proper curling procedures using a Marcel iron
- Basic layered haircut
- Mock permanent eave
- Mock predisposition and strand test
- Mock foil
- Mock color retouch
- Mock virgin relaxer
- Blood exposure procedure
- Basic facial
- Sculptured nail
Each section of the practical exam is weighted differently for a total of 100 points. If you get a score of 70% or higher, then congratulations! You just passed the practical portion of the exam.
What Should You Bring?
Now that you’ve studied and prepped for what’s going to be on the exam, it’s time to go over what you should bring. After studying and practicing for a future career in the beauty industry, you want to make sure you’re on the top of your game! Here’s a helpful list of things you should bring to your test day!
- Your exam admissions letter
- Two forms of identification (one must have both your photograph and signature)
- State board kit
- #2 pencils (mechanical pencils are not allowed)
Things to Remember
There’s a lot for you to think about before taking the test, so we’ve put together some general things you should remember to help ease your mind!
- Make sure you know the location, date, and time you’re taking the exam. You may even want to drive to the testing location so you know exactly where to go since you will not be allowed in the testing area if you arrive late.
- Read all testing instructions carefully and don’t be afraid to ask questions to the proctor if you’re unsure about something.
- Don’t bring food or drinks into the testing area.
- Notes or electronic devices (including watches) will not be allowed in the examination room.
- Wear clothes that make you feel comfy but also successful! Wearing the right outfit can help you feel better about your exam.
- Make sure you eat a good breakfast to help you wake up your brain.
- Bring a jacket in case it gets a little chilly while taking a test.
These are just some important things to keep in mind as your examination day draws nearer. Taking exams can seem intimidating, but remember that it’s to help prepare you for a career in cosmetology. If beauty is your passion, then all the hard work and determination will be worth it!
How You Can Start Preparing
Are you ready to start preparing for a future career in cosmetology? Before you can sit for the state board exam and become a licensed cosmetologist, you need to complete your cosmetology education. At Keune Academy by 124, our cosmetology program can help you prepare to sit for the state board exam by learning about hairstyling, coloring, cutting and more! Contact us to find out how you can start the application process.